martes, 23 de agosto de 2016

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare [Review]


Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Fantasy, supernatural, young adult
Publishing year: 2007
Publisher: McElderry Books
Pages: 485

Rating: ★★★

I know this book is kinda old, but I recently bought the third instalment of The Mortal Instruments, so I want to review the first two.
The mortal instruments is a really popular series, it has a movie (a bad one) and a Netflix series, I totally prefer the series.

                City of bones tells us the story of Clary Fray, She is a fifteen years old girl, and one night she goes to a night club named “Pandemonium”, there she witnesses a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air.  Clary discovers the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. After this encounter with the Shadowhunters, Clary’s life becomes a mess when her mother disappears and she is attacked by a demon, she ends up getting involved with the Shadowhunters world because she is also a Shadowhunter. Clary will discover a lot of secrets her mother hid from her while trying to rescue her from Valentine, an evil Shadowhunter who wants to possess the Mortal Cup, and he thinks Clary’s mother knows where it is. With the help of Jace Wayland, and Isabelle and Alec Lightwood, Clary will learn the ways of a Shadowhunter while trying to rescue her mom. 
  
                I have some trouble while writing this review because I liked the book but there's something that I don't like at all, and I'm not sure what it is.


                I got interested in this book when I read that the protagonist was an otaku girl, I love anime so I thought it could be interesting and that I could identify with her, also the story with another world hidden in the normal world sounds pretty interesting, that’s why I gave this book an opportunity and I don't regret it.

Movie Cast. From left to right: Valentine, Jace,
 Clary, Simon,  Isabelle?
                I liked the book since the beginning, the plot is interesting and cool,  and I really liked how in the first two sections we can know the story of almost each character, about their families, their background story. Also I really liked Clare's style, her writing style is really descriptive, she describes perfectly the places, creatures, and everything, including some unnecessary details, but that helps a lot to imagine what’s happening, and it also creates a wonderful atmosphere.

                Now here is what bugs me: the characters.
First the protagonist, Clary... she's a normal girl and blablabla, but she is actually a shadowhunter, cool right? She has powers, and she could learn how to fight and be useful while looking for her mother, but no, she learnt almost anything! She was always screaming and crying and everyone hit her and she never did anything useful or awesome as a Shadowhunter! Another thing that bugs me about her is that she says that she loves Simon as a friend and everything but she always forgets about him,  and even forgets about her mother, almost at the end of the book I remembered how everything began because her mother was kidnapped.

                About Jace, he is the male protagonist and love interest of Clary, I don't have too much to say about him, but I don't find him charming, he's sarcastic and I liked that, but his suicide personality is everything except charming.

                The Lightwood siblings were my least favorite characters, Isabelle is a plain character, I don't like the way she is, I find her annoying but useful, not like Clary. Alec is is really boring, he seems to be mad all the time, and that’s annoying. To me he doesn't have personality and was more annoying than his sister.

                My favorite characters are Magnus, the gay and charming High Warlock, he is like wise and funny at the same time; and Luke, since the beginning I knew he was going to be important in the story, he is like a good and lovely father, a kind person who recognize the mistakes he did in the past and who would do anything to save the persons he love.

       
TV Show Cast. From left to right: Alec, Simon,
Isabelle, Clary and Jace. 
         And finally Valentine, the bad guy that has the name of a romantic day. This guy is really bad, his name bugs me, but besides that is a good villain, he’s cold, has doubts to kill, and his hate is powerful and kind of insane. But I don't understand what makes him that powerful and invincible.

                Well, besides I wrote almost bad things about the characters, sometimes they were funny, and what made me really like this book was the ending. The third part of it was full of action and made me understand the story of Clary's mother and Valentine’s evil plan that I didn't understand at the beginning. I couldn't stop reading in that part.

                I really enjoyed when Valentine appears and confuses Jace because we can see another part of Jace, the sarcastic "badass" dude, was weak and kind of stupid for believing in Valentine.

                That’s my full opinion of the book, it has good and bad things as everything, but I liked it and I'm willing to read the following books.

Do you like this series? Let me know your opinion in the comments :D


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario