domingo, 30 de septiembre de 2018

Legend (Legend #1) - Marie Lu [Review]



Title: Legend (Legend #1)
Author: Marie Lu      
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Dystopian
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publishing date: November 29th 2011
Pages: 305
Rating
★★★☆☆

Hello! Today I’m reviewing Legend by Marie Lu, the debut of this YA author. I know this book was really popular some years ago when dystopian books were trendy, so I was really curious about it.  
Metias.

Legend takes place in what was once the western United States, now home to the Republic, a
nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

I was a bit wary about this book, I was never into dystopian stories and I’m late to the party with this book, also this is a debut book, and I’ve read her most recent one so I had in my mind how her writing has improved over the years.


I enjoyed this book but didn’t love it. It was an easy fast paced read with an interesting but not so original premise and okay characters.

The book is divided in two perspectives, Day, a genius enemy of the republic and June, a prodigy soldier.

Graphic novel cover, Day and June.
I liked Day, he was an interesting character with clear and relatable motivations and intentions, I definitely enjoyed his point of view the most. June was too perfect for my liking, beautiful, skillful, smart, and that was unrealistic to me and I couldn’t connect with her. Her POV was boring to me and it had too many clothing descriptions.

This book suffers of the insta-love syndrome; the two main characters basically fall in love upon seeing each other. It was rushed, forced and unnecessary.

Like a good dystopian book, this has an oppressive and unfair government, I was really intrigued by the government’s intentions and their plan against Day, but as a good dystopia it’s kinda predictable and it was easy to know who the bad people were even if it was supposed to be a twist.

If you want to read a light, easy and action packed book with an interesting and classic dystopian premise, this book might be for you.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario